1. What are Cookies
A cookie is a small file that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognise your browser, and thereby informs the site of any user information or preferences previously that you set when you last visited the site. In this way, website owners can provide more personalised, tailored experiences on their websites for their users, and improve the service that they offer.
2. How DuoBoots and trusted third parties use your personal data
• We use the cookies to make the website easier and faster to use, because it allows you to use our website without having to re-enter information on every visit.
• Cookies also maintain the visitor’s identity during a single visit to a website so you need only log in once and the cookie will allow you to browse away and back to the site, without having to log in again.
• Cookies cannot harm your computer, and they also do not pose any risk to your security, as we do not store personally identifiable information such as credit card details in the cookies that we create. Cookies are not able to retrieve any information from your computer that you have not already given to a website, and cannot be used to put malware or viruses on your computer. Furthermore, cookies are not able to be used to control the functionality or settings of your computer.
There are two different types of cookie as follows:
• Session cookies - Session cookies are deleted after each 'session'. For example, when you are browsing the DuoBoots site, the cookie will remember you for the duration of your visit, but the cookie will be deleted from your computer as soon as you close down your internet browser. Without a session cookie, every time you open a new web page the web server where that page is stored will treat you like a completely new visitor and items placed in your shopping basket will disappear by the time you reach the checkout. Also, functionality such as ‘Recently Viewed’ would not be able to function without session cookies.
• Persistent cookies - Persistent cookies remember you for a set period of time. For DuoBoots, this period is up to a maximum of 6 months (unless you delete your cookies within this period). On your first visit to the DuoBoots site, you will see a default version of the site without any personalization. Over time, you may notice that the site changes in terms of the content you are shown, as persistent cookies remember items you have viewed and preferences you have selected. An example of a persistent cookie on the DuoBoots website is one called “public_delivcountry” which remembers the delivery country you select for your order, and presents this country as the default next time you visit.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance if you wish to.
Cookies allow us to present you with relevant products and services that are based on the way that you want to use our website, providing you with an enhanced browsing and shopping experience.
For example, cookies allow us to remember what calf width and foot width sizes you searched for last time you visited us, what products you left in your basket, and what regional site you were visiting the last time you visited duoboots.com
Our cookies, and those of our third party partners, don't store sensitive information such as your name, address or payment details: they simply hold the 'key' that, once you're signed in, is associated with this information.
Web technology partners
DuoBoots works with other third parties to provide web analytics data and other technology services which helps us to track activity on our websites such as daily visits, and number of orders placed.
Again, DuoBoots cannot control the settings of these cookies, so we suggest you check third-party websites for more information about their cookies and how to manage them.
You can also get useful information on what cookies are and how to control your browser’s cookie settings at the following website: http://www.aboutcookies.org (please note that we can't be responsible for the content of external websites).
3. Managing Cookies on your computer
If you prefer not to accept any cookies:
You can set your browser to reject them or to alert you before one is placed.
The Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. You can also get useful information on what cookies are and how to control your browser’s cookie settings at the following website: http://www.aboutcookies.org (please note that we can't be responsible for the content of external websites).
Questions regarding this policy should be directed as follows:
Customer Care, DuoBoots, Vallis House, Vallis Road, Frome, Somerset. BA11 3EG